Saturday, December 15, 2007

Another Day

We spent the day in the most beautiful part of the world that I can describe. Pantagonia is a beautiful, rugged area that has deep woods, high mountains and stunning glaciers. I will be posting images as soon as I can get reliable access. Oh, by the way, access is limited here so if you do not see an update, check Mikes blog as we both want to keep our families updated.

OK, now the bad news, it looks like it is the worst snow storm to hit Patriot Hills in a very long time and because of this storm, we will not fly out till at least Monday. We are all frustrated and tired here and the current residents are very anxious to get back (as they have been stuck there as long as we are stuck here).

From the sounds of things, we will not get out of here until Monday (hopefully) so we will have more then. Talked with family today about the choices we will be facing if this wait goes on and am feeling better now. It is pretty tough to be told to wait in line for over a week, but, it is the Artic and is supposed to be exptected.

Back to Pantagonia, we went out and bought tents and sleeping bags several days ago and went back up to Torres de Paine (Towers of Pain - sorry if spelling is off). This is a huge area north of Punta Arenas that has huge mountains, glaciers and forests, to hike the entire trail would take approx. 6 days.

The hike into the Torres de Paines forest was neat, we had to drive to a point in the park (in a rented van - we had a driver last time that didn't work out so good). At that point, we had to catch a ferry (it only ran 3 times a day). This ferry would drop us, and another half dozen or so backpackers, at a remote area of Pantagonia, at that point we were on our own. It was cool....

We had to hike quite a few miles before it would get dark to a campsite near a huge glacier (we took the last ferry and that didn't drop us off until about 6pm). The entire hike took 3-4 hours and was up some very rugged hills.

During the hike we saw icebergs, wild dear and some of the most beautiful scenery that I have ever witnessed.

Elysia, you said you were studying glaciers, I have some incredible pictures of glaciers. I hiked over the past two days (over 20 miles) to get some pictures for you. I was woken up last night by the giant sound of the glacier snapping off an iceberg. I would try and describe the size and immensity of this flowing ice river, but my words would not do it justice. It was a very long hike to just see the glacier, it was much longer to get close to it.

This morning I woke up early (everyone knows I hate mornings) and I didn't want to wake anyone else up so I got out of the tent and went on a 2 hour walk up to the glacier. Now, let me say that I saw the glacier from a distance while walking in, but, I was not expecting to see what I saw that morning..... The size of that thing was beyond description. I climbed some cliffs and scaled some trails to get there, but the view was worth it. I kept trying to get closer (I was at least a mile away) but the wind, and the fact that I was on a cliff made me realize that I was making a headline news mistake... Climbing in a dangerous, remote area, without telling anyone where I was at, so, I sat down on the cliff, took some pictures, and pondered life. Once done, I hiked the hour or so back to camp and went back to bed, feeling complete (until Mike decided I slept enough and took the tent down on top of me and Mark from Ireland).

We went back later that day after some worries about logistics with the Antartic trip (see Mikes Blog). The return trip to the glacier took another 4 hours (2 hours out and 2 hours back). This got us (me, Mark and Raj) to the high camp, just above the glacier. The view from there was incredible as we could see many crevasses (sp?) and holes in the glacier from the melt. We wanted to hike all the way down to the glacier, but we figured it would take at least 2 hours more to get down there and 2 to get back (and another 2 to get to our camp and 4 to get to the ferry), and we only had 6 hours left to get back to the ferry in time for the last departure, so we did not make the trek to walk the glacier. We then walked back from the high camp to our campsite (2 hours), met the rest of our group (who left on our arrival) and then ate some lunch at the backpackers place (a remote cabin that backpackers sleep in). We then hit the trail trying to catch Mike and the rest of the group for a 4 hour, very steep and taxing hike.

I got some great pictures of the icebergs and glaciers but it will take a day or so to post them as we aren't back in Punta Arenas yet. I know that all the hiking and walking we have been doing is not good for marathon training, but we are all going stir crazy here and the walking helps release this pent up explosion. It is sometimes comical being told to wait in line with a bunch of other marathon runners.

Will post images as soon as we have a reliable connection.

Oh, by the way, my kids both said I looked angry on my pictures, keep in mind, I am taking most of these by myself, and, as I will categorically admit, I hate posing for pictures. (they have never seen me with a partial beard so it is new to them too)