Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Bottom of world

We made it!
The immensity and vast loneliness of this place is beyond words. Take a swath of land as big as the US and Mexico combined, add a few hundred people, and you have a frozen, empty place that is as grand and devoid of life as anything you can imagine.

Flying over I had thoughts that reminded me of when I was a kid (or adult for that matter) of when I would try and visualize the size of the universe... I could never seem to wrap my mind around the concept of such immense size and unexplored territory. Yes the size and emptiness of Antartica is as difficult to comprehend.

I suppose it is like Zac (my son) insisting that there must be a last number because he cannot wrap his mind around something that doesn´t end. So Zac, imagine infinity and you will capture the feeling that this place invokes.

Sorry to get all deep there, but it is really difficult to paint a proper picture of a place that we humans know so little about. As Jodi Foster said in the movie Contact "They should have sent a poet".