Monday, December 10, 2007

Sitting Around Waiting

Six thirty this morning came and went with no phone call, this allowed me to sleep in a bit. The next scheduled time was 10 AM, which also came and went. Apparently the weather is kinda bad down there and not suitable for flying.

Talked with Brent (the race director) and it sounds like the weather is cold (of course) with a 25 knot cross wind and 1 kilometer of visibility (I am assuming this is bad for flying).

We were told to meet again at 4 PM to get an additional update. From my understanding, we are now on standby until we go, a call could come in at any time, even during the night, and we will be off. This also means that we could land, and if the weather is favorable, put on our running shoes and start the race.

Never thought I would say this, but I kinda miss the smoking ban in bars and restaurants in the US. Every time we go and get a bite to eat, we come back smelling like an ashtray, apparently, every citizen of Punta Arenas smokes.... a lot....

Pretty certain I have been through every channel on the TV at least 60 times so I will probably try and rustle up a card game while we sit around waiting.

Oh, by the way, the hotel we are staying at is right on the coast and the wind (the cold wind) is fierce, afraid this might be a prelude as to the conditions further south.

It is also confirmed that I am gonna line up and try the 100k race, good thing I brought some Advil (I am also considering a bottle of stout whiskey) to help with the recovery.

Will update later as time permits.