Sunday, December 16, 2007

Patagonia

As promised some images of our recent outing.

The below image struck me as cool as the road we had to take stretched on for quite a ways, it lead us to the mountains. There was one cafe along the way that served one thing, ham and cheese sandwiches. It seems to be a specialty here in Chile as everwhere you go they have ham and cheese sandwich on every menu. Some places have a variety - hot ham, cold cheese on bread - hot ham, hot cheese on bread - and the fancy one - hot ham, hot cheese on hot toasted bread.

Anyway of all the places we ate in Chile, I liked this one best as they made a great Hot Ham, Hot Cheese on Hot toasted bread sandwich. We tried to stop there on the way home, but there was a note on the door stating they were in Punta Arena for the day.

DSC00089

Here is an image of me and Mike in front of some guanacos, they are a llama like animal roaming Patagonia. Mike suggested that we convert one of them to our dinner plate as we only bought cookies for our camping trip.

DSC00097

Here is a picture of the group of us (I am getting good at the self timed pictures).

From left to right, Fred from Sweden, Mark from Ireland, James from the UK, Mike from US, Raj from the UK/India, and me. You can kind of see the towers in the background.

DSC00099

Here was where we saw the first icebergs. The Grey Glacier is quite a few miles behind me (as I took the image). We had to hike a long way before coming to the top of a cliff and seeing this, was pretty neat.

DSC00116

Here is the first view we had of the Grey Glacier. It looks like it is right down the valley, but I would estimate it being at least 5-6 hours of solid walking through rough terrain to get to it from where I was standing. It is a testiment to the size of the glacier to deceive the eye so much.

DSC00125

Here I am early in the morning on my way to look at the glacier. The sky is light pretty much 18-20 hours of the day due to the southern location. In fact the sun tracks in a circular pattern through the sky rather than an arch over the sky. Anyway, I would guess that I was still a few miles from the actual Glacier. After I took this photo, I had to scale some pretty high cliffs to go on and that is when I realized that it was not a good idea to be climbing around out here, in the middle of nowhere, so I turned back.

DSC00134

Here is another view of the Glacier. We got there after climbing for 2 days and shot this picture. The glacier is formed a dozen or so miles into the mountains and as snow accumulates, it compacts the snow into ice. The ice becomes so deep that it starts to squeeze out the ice through the weakest point. The image here is where the ice meets the water and where the icebergs break off.

DSC00144

I tried to post a video but was unable to upload the entire thing.